November 10th, 2020
HOW TO ACHIEVE THE PERFECT MANICURE AT HOME
It's easier than you think.
We could rattle off all the reasons why you should try doing your own nails—it’s fun! Think of how accomplished you feel when you sit back and admire your handiwork!—but at the top of the list? You don’t have to get dressed for it. Cozy robe and candle are not required, but definitely recommended.
True, having a steady hand helps in a DIY manicure, but that takes practice. (Another reason to get started with at-home mani!) But if you don’t, we have a few tips and tricks to help achieve a streak-free, salon-worthy manicure. All from the comfort of your own home.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Nail Polish Remover
- Nail File
- Clean Orange Stick
- Fresh Glow Cuticle Remover
- Kur Base Coat (of your choice)
- Kur Top Coat (of your choice)
- Instant Smudge Fix
- Accelerating Drying Oil
- (optional) Nourishing Cuticle Oil
- (optional) 2-in-1 Hand & Nail Treatment
This is how to get the perfect manicure without leaving the house:
- Step 1: It's All In The Prep
1. Clean your nails with Strengthening Lacquer Remover, even if you don’t have polish on. This may seem like an inconsequential step, but it’s key in helping the base coat better adhere to your nails—which means you’re able to achieve a longer-lasting manicure. Plus, it’ll get rid of any oil or dirt that can affect polish application.
2. Shape your nails with a glass file or emery board. Clip your nail if you need a trim, then (gently!) file the edges to shape and smooth your nails to the desired length and shape.
3. Apply Fresh Glow Cuticle Remover. A small amount is all you need. Use the brush to lightly “paint” around the cuticle of each nail, then let Fresh Glow Cuticle Remover work its magic. After 30 seconds, use a cuticle pusher or orange stick to gently lift and remove the excess skin. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
4. Moisturize your hands while your skin is still damp. Doing so helps maximize hydration, especially if your hand cream is formulated with a humectant like Hyaluronic Acid, like our Whipped Cloud Hand Cream. Then, massage Nourishing Cuticle Oil into your nail beds and let everything sink into your skin.
- Step 2: Build A Strong Foundation
5. Clean your nails once more. Wipe them down with Strengthening Lacquer Remover to remove the residue.
6. Start with base coat. The one you choose depends entirely on what your nails need: use Nail Hardener & Base Coat to help strengthen, Gel Genius Base Coat for extra-long wear, or Fortifying Ridge Filler if you need a smoothing primer. Let your first layer of polish dry completely.
- Step 3: Just Add Color
7. Apply a thin, even coat of lakur. Our nail polishes have wide brushes that help make application effortless—and if you apply it in three strokes (down the middle, then on either side), you’ll achieve a streak-free finish. Be sure to cap the edge by swiping across the end of the nail to ensure full coverage and prolonged wear. Let it dry completely before following with a second coat if desired.
- Step 4: Lock It In
8. Seal in color with a top coat of your choice. Apply Protective Top Coat for hard-wear shine, Gel Genius Top Coat for a plush finish with gel-like wear, or Protective Matte Coat if want to give your mani a luxe, suede-like look. Again, make sure to cap the edge of each nail for maximum wear.
9. For smudge-free security, allow the top coat to dry for two minutes before applying one drop of Accelerating Drying Oil to each nail. Start at the base and tilt your hand downwards so the oil can spread throughout the nail.
10. Treat yourself. Once your nails are completely—and we mean completely—massage kur serum 2-in-1 Hand & Nail Treatment into your skin. The soft-focus glow is worth a photo op: it instantly hydrates, softens any dry lines, and gives hands a boost of radiance.
2 in 1 Hand and Nail Treatment
Should you accidentally smudge or nick your freshly-painted nails, Instant Smudge Fix is your solution. No need to start over again.
- Dealing with smudged polish? Smooth the smudge with thin layer of Instant Smudge Fix over the entire nail. Let it dry for 10 seconds, then follow with your top coat. (Optional: Finish with Accelerating Drying Oil after two minutes to prevent future mishaps.)
- Is it a nick, chip, or dent? Fill in any minor mistakes with your original lakur. Let it dry for 10 seconds, then gently brush a thin layer of Instant Smudge Fix over the whole nail to smooth things over. Wait an additional 10 seconds and follow with your top coat. (Again: this is optional but highly recommended: Follow with Accelerating Drying Oil after two minutes to prevent future mishaps.)
We can’t wait to see your London look.
The LT Team
- Julie T.
“This is one of my “can’t live without” products. It’s worked wonders on my dry problem child cuticles, and my hands look much smoother and younger when I use this consistently at night.”
Nude Polishes For Every Skin Tone
A guide featuring the best nudes for every skin tone.
For nails in need of intensive love and care..
What To Bring To The Nail Salon
Stay safe during your first nail appointment back at the local salon.
Most Loved At Londontown:
BOTANICAL RADIANCE OIL
An all-over skincare-grade oil for head-to-toe hydration and glow.SHOP
WHIPPED CLOUD HAND CREAM
A moisturizing soft cream for touchable hands, always.SHOP
ILLUMINATING NAIL CONCEALER
Protects from yellowing while adding a healthy brightness to the nail.
Leave a comment