A good manicure is more than just your nail polish. It includes every step from prep to post-care—but if you’re new to at-home manis and want to ease into a routine, start with cuticle care. It’s a simple step to add because in less than a few minutes, a cuticle oil will manage to make all the difference. Results are just as gratifying instantly and over time: not only will it give you that fresh-out-of-the-salon look, but it’ll also help support healthy nail growth, too.
Benefits of Cuticle Oil
When it comes to nail care, cuticle oil is a true game-changer. Incorporating any of our nourishing formulas is key in keeping your cuticles in top shape while safeguarding both the health and appearance of your nails. Regular use ensures the entire cuticle area stays soft, moisturized, and easier to manage. Plus, that extra layer of nourishing hydration acts as a protective shield to prevent dryness or lifting (and therefore, ragged, often uncomfortable edges).
Key benefits include:
- Hydrating & softening the cuticle area
- Strengthening & conditioning nails
- Promoting healthy nail growth
- Preventing hangnails & dry, cracked skin around the nails
How to Use Cuticle Oil
- Start with clean hands and nails. If you're wearing nail polish, consider removing it to ensure that the cuticle oil can penetrate the cuticle area effectively.
- Dispense a small drop of oil onto each cuticle on one hand. Using gentle, circular motions, massage the oil into your cuticles and nail plate. Take your time and spend about 1-2 minutes massaging each hand. This helps work in all the nourishing benefits while boosting blood flow to support healthier nail growth.
- If you’re leaving your nails bare, follow with hand cream. If you plan to polish your nails, let the cuticle oil fully absorb for a few minutes before using a non-acetone nail polish remover and Pre-Prep Nail Dehydrator to get your nails ready for base coat.
- Polish with your base coat, lakur, and top coat as you normally would.
- Once the polish is completely dry, follow with your favorite cuticle oil once more. Repeat daily or every few days as needed.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should I be using cuticle oil?
For best results, use your cuticle oil daily or a few times a week. Consistency is key to maintaining healthy cuticles and nails.
What are the best times to apply cuticle oil?
Try applying cuticle oil at the start and tail end of your manicure or pedicure. If your cuticles feel dry, apply whenever, wherever you need moisturization—but if you prefer to stick to a routine, incorporate it into your evening regimen. Massage a few drops into the nail area right before bed as an overnight treatment.
When should I use cuticle oil when doing my nails at home?
If you're planning to paint your nails, apply cuticle oil beforehand and let it absorb for a few minutes. Then, wipe your nails clean to ensure the lakur adheres smoothly. Once your polish is done drying, add a fresh layer of cuticle oil to lock in hydration.