June 5th, 2021
THE GUIDE: NAILCARE FOR ATHLETES
A case for nailcare as essential self-care for anyone who loves a good sweat sesh.
We get it.
Training is and will always be the priority, but when you’re as tough on your hands and feet as you are, nailcare needs to become an essential part of your everyday routine. It’s non-negotiable, in fact: to help combat the daily damage or breakage, upkeep is required to maintain or re-strengthen overall nail health. Your sport affects the type of care you need, too—so to ensure you know exactly what you need (whether you’re in want of preventative care or in search of emergency solutions for nail mishaps), this is the guide for you.
FOR RUNNERS, MARATHONERS AND HIKERS, breaking or losing toenails are a near-regular occurrence. Strengthen, then pamper, with the following routine:
- To fortify your toenails: Apply an even coat of Nail Hardener & Base Coat directly onto clean, bare nails. Let dry, then follow with a second coat to create a protective outer shell. Add a new coat every 3-4 days, then start fresh by removing all layers with a non-acetone nail polish remover.
- To help promote nail growth: Broken nails? Apply Get Well Nail Recovery to help improve the look of distressed nails and encourage healthy nail growth.
- To help soften calluses: Soak your feet in warm water to prep, then massage pedikur Foot Scrub into the skin. Focus on tougher zones like the balls of the feet and the heels, and use gentler pressure on the arches and tops of the feet.
- To relieve aching, tired feet: pedikur Foot Balm is the ultimate, post-steam or hot shower treat. Infused with invigorating essential oils and Rosemary Extract (which is known to help reduce the appearance of swelling) this midweight cream sinks into skin to help soothe and soften soles. Take time to massage the calves with this formula too—then slip into a pair of thick, cotton socks.
FOR CYCLISTS, calloused hands and feet deserve a little pre-workout and post-cycling attention.
- To soften hands and help prevent discomfort from handlebars: Gloves are a great bet—but before you slip into a pair (and to further help prevent dryness or chafing), apply a light layer of hand cream. If you’re cycling without gloves, you’ll appreciate Whipped Cloud Hand Cream: it’s light, airy, and sinks into skin immediately for a no-slip grip.
- To improve the appearance of dry hands: Headed out after a cycling session? Give your hands and cuticles an instant pick me up with kur 2-in-1 serum. This hand and nail treatment gives skin a boost of radiance while smoothing the look of any dry lines upon application.
- To help strengthen nails: Apply 1-2 coats of Nail Hardener & Base Coat onto bare nails. Follow with a drop of Nourishing Cuticle Oil on each finger to ensure the delicate skin and the nail plate itself remain hydrated (and therefore, healthy!).
- To pamper aching or swollen feet: pedikur Foot Scrub and Foot Balm are the ultimate duo. Each one is formulated with a cooling, spa blend of essential oils that help soothe and comfort your feet.
FOR SWIMMERS, dehydrated skin, nails, and hair are your main concerns. Address causes and signs of dryness using the following moisture-intensive kur:
To help prevent dehydration and replenish skin: Chlorine is the culprit behind dryness and in some cases, irritation, too. Apply Botanical Radiance Oil from top to toe to seal in moisture before you jump into the pool. (Not only is it formulated with high-quality skincare-grade oils, but it’s also lightweight enough where you can use it on your hair, face, and) Post-swim, re-apply the oil to restore hydration.
#LondonTip: Use Botanical Radiance Oil as an occasional moisturizing deep treatment. Before you wear your swim cap, apply a quarter-sized amount (or more, depending on your hair thickness and length) from the mid-length to ends.
- To prevent nail splitting or moisture depletion: Apply a coat of Protective Top Coat to create a barrier against the chlorine. Doing so creates a shield that’s just as effective as it is beautiful on: a glossy finish gives your nails a natural yet fresh-out-of-the-salon look.
- To moisturize cuticles and prevent splitting: Apply Nourishing Cuticle Oil to hands and feet once a day (or as often as needed) to replenish the delicate skin. Be sure to massage the oil into your nails, too; it’ll help keep them hydrated.
FOR DANCERS, your essential nailcare is all about polished hands and indulgent footcare. Here’s what we recommend:
- To help strengthen toenails against breakage or damage: Two coats of Nail Hardener & Base Coat will help create a fortified barrier over your natural nails. Re-apply with a fresh coat every 2-3 days, then refresh it at the start of a new week. Always use a strengthening, non-acetone remover when cleaning the nail area.
- To achieve a polished yet natural manicure and pedicure: Illuminating Nail Concealer is the trade secret. Optical brighteners and Porcelain Flower Extract instantly erase imperfections and neutralize discoloration for a your-nails-but-better finish.
- To soothe and revive hard-working feet: Incorporate pedikur Foot Scrub and Foot Balm into your weekly routine (or as often as needed). We know calluses are badges of honor, but regular upkeep with gentle exfoliation is necessary in removing dulling or flaking dead skin. After you’ve exfoliated, moisturize: the foot balm boasts a blend of ultra-invigorating essentials oils that bring a cooling heat to sore feet—which is exactly what you crave after a practice or performance.
Which kur is always in your gym bag? Tag us @LondontownUSA so we can see!
All About Pedikur Foot
Scrub & Foot Balm
When we say we're invested in head-to-toe skincare, we mean it - literally.
The Guide: Summer
We're not just aiming for better, we're going for the best.
Look no further for the perfect summer mani. Get ready to go bright- and get wild.