Achieving a flawless and long-lasting manicure requires more than just the perfect nail polish color. Enter Londontown's collection of top coats: the finishing touch that takes your nails from just fine to pro-adjacent (and made to last). There’s the classic clear top coat for nails (and we have quite a few), a chic matte if you’re feeling moody, and the unexpected toppers that add more than just longevity to your mani.
Here’s how to choose the best formula for you....
Londontown Top Coats
Londontown's top coat collection offers a range of innovative formulations designed to provide a durable, gel-like finish to your manicure. Plus, they’re infused with botanical kur care to deliver exceptional results that transform your nails instantly and with regular use, over time too.
Every one of our top coats is meant to enhance the longevity and appearance of your nail polish, of course. But beyond that, we’ve meticulously formulated each one to give you that something extra depending on what you’re looking for. Here’s a quick guide on how to choose the right top coat for you:
- High-Shine Top Coats provide a glossy and lustrous finish, boosting the vibrancy of your nail polish color and adding an irresistible shine that catches the light. Try High Gloss Top Coat if you love the shine.
- Protective Top Coats fortify your manicure and protect from daily wear and tear. If you are looking for a resilient manicure use Protective Top Coat.
- A multi-tasking top coat is a must have for anyone who is looking for a minimalist routine. Duplex Base & Top Coat provides both a foundation and a finish to your manicure or pedicure.
- Matte Top Coats add a modern and sophisticated twist by transforming any glossy nail polish into a velvety, non-reflective finish. Matte Top Coat is a must for achieving this look.
- Fast-Drying Top Coats are ideal for anyone on the go. Flash Dry Top Coat is formulated to significantly reduce drying time, allowing you to get a smudge-proof manicure in minutes.
- Gel Top Coats are typically paired with UV-cured gel polishes. If you love the cushiony look and the extended wear time of gels but don’t want the damage, try Gel Genius Top Coat: it gives your mani the look and durability without the need for a UV/LED lamp.
- Glitter Top Coats add glamour instantly. These transformative top coats contain suspended glitter particles that add dimension and a dazzling effect to any nail color or design. Diamond Shine Top Coat is subtle and sophisticated, and Confetti Topper goes all.
Benefits of Using a Top Coat
If you’re tight on time, Londontown lakurs have a naturally high-shine finish that gives you that polished look. But if you have the extra few minutes—and want to achieve that fresh-out-of-the-salon mani or pedi, top coats make all the difference by:
- Protecting nails from chipping or peeling. Top coats act as a protective barrier, shielding your nails from daily wear and tear. They help prevent chipping, peeling, and premature fading of nail polish, ensuring your manicure stays flawless for longer.
- Extending the wear of your polish. By providing an additional layer of protection, top coats add longevity to your mani or pedi. They help seal in the color, preventing it from fading or dulling, and maintaining the vibrancy of your manicure.
- Giving that flawless, pro-level finish. Top coats are the essential finishing touch that creates a smooth and even surface, evening out any imperfections or streaks in the nail polish. Top coats are especially crucial if you’re working with a glitter, textured polish with an uneven dry-down or are working with a nail design (using nail stickers, for example). One to two coats will help even everything out so nothing snags or ruins your nail art.
- Bringing out your nail color or design. No matter the finish, top coats bring out the true depth and intensity of your polish color, making your manicure pop.
How to Use Top Coats
Apply top coat after your nail polish has had a few minutes to dry. Then, start from the base of the nail and brush towards the tip. Be mindful not to apply too much product to avoid bubbling or smudging, and be sure to cap the edge of each nail by swiping the brush perpendicularly along the edge of the nail plate.
Allow the top coat to dry completely before exposing your nails to any potential smudging or damage. Add a drop of Accelerating Drying Oil to each nail to further speed up dry time, and let the top coat settle using our Flash Dry Nail Fan.
To further extend the life of your manicure, apply a fresh layer of top coat every few days until you’re ready to remove your polish and start fresh.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use a top coat as base coat?
Top coats and base coats serve different purposes, so we don’t recommend it. Using a dedicated base coat is always recommended for optimal adhesion and longevity of your manicure—but luckily for you: we’ve formulated a 2-in-1 called Duplex Base & Top Coat specifically for the minimalists who love multitaskers.
Can you use gel top coat on top of regular nail polish?
Try using Gel Genius Top Coat instead. It gives a similar effect—that plush shine and depth plus up to two weeks of chip-resistant wear—without needing to be cured under a UV or LED lamp.
Can I use a base coat as my top coat?
Base coats are specifically designed to boost adhesion and provide a smooth surface for nail polish. While some base coats may have a similar appearance to top coats, we don’t recommend using them interchangeably. Base coats lack the quick-drying and high-gloss properties of top coats and are best reserved for use as the first layer of your manicure or pedicure. Our 2-in-1 is the exception, of course: it’s formulated to deliver on both needs equally.