September 5th, 2021
5 TIPS ON HOW TO PERFECT YOUR AT-HOME MANI & PEDI
DIY #LondonTips that’ll have your polish looking fresh-out-of-the-salon.
If you’ve ever wondered why your salon manicures and pedicures seem to last longer than your at-home recreations—even when you use the same polish as your nail tech—we’re here to share five of our favorite pro tips and tricks. They’re simpler than you think, too: the secret is in the prep, and the trick is in the application techniques.
Here’s how to perfect your at-home manicure and pedicure:
1. IT’S ALL IN THE PREP.
A solid foundation makes for flawless application and expert results. Always start with clean hands before dedicating time to clean up your cuticles and shape your nails. Once you’ve achieved the look you want, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Pamper the entire nail area using Nourishing Cuticle Oil or Cuticle Gel Pen first. Once you’ve given it a few minutes to sink in, use a cotton pad saturated with lacquer remover (acetone-free, preferably, to avoid stripping your nails) to thoroughly clean the entire nail plate. This step it crucial: it allows your base coat to better adhere to your nails for extended wear.
Nourishing Cuticle Oil
Instantly hydrates for softer, healthier-looking cuticles—in just a few drops.SHOP NOW
2. BASE COAT AND TOP COAT MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE.
If you’re in a pinch and need polished nails stat, we won’t fault you for skipping the other key steps. (The great thing about our lakurs is that they’re formulated with Florium Complex, a proprietary blend of supercharged botanical extracts and oils that are designed to deliver the perfect balance between strength and moisturization.) But—we’d be remiss if we didn’t mention how crucial the right base and top coat are to a pro-looking mani or pedi.
- Your base coat is your nail primer. Base coats are formulated to smooth the actual nail plate for flawless application and create a durable bond to which your nail polish can grip for extended wear.
- Your top coat is your sealant—almost like a makeup finishing or setting spray. It locks in and intensifies that color, gives your polish incredible shine (or a matte look, if that’s what you prefer), and helps prevent chipping, fading, or damage during that first week of wear.
Gel Genius Top Coat
All the perks of a gel—and none of the damage.
3. CAP EVERY LAYER OF YOUR POLISH.
- Try to apply your polish in three, even strokes. Our Pro Contour brushes are specifically designed to hug the natural curve of your cuticles and fan out to give you effortless coverage. Start down the center, then fill in on both sides.
- This fourth and last stroke, though, is the game-changer in helping your nail polish last. Hold the brush perpendicular to the end of your nail and in one single, light stroke, coat (also known as “capping”) the entire edge of your nail plate. Doing so helps prevent chipping and gives your manicure a clean, professional look.
4. MAKE NAILCARE A PART OF YOUR EVERYDAY ROUTINE.
Whipped Cloud Hand Cream
For touchable hands without the post-application slip.SHOP NOW
5. REMEMBER: NO MISTAKE IS PERMANENT.
What are your favorite mani tips and tricks? Share them with us over @LondontownUSA!
All-over skincare that feels like a treat, never a chore.
The nail file you use matters. Here’s everything you need to know.
We’re all about creating beauty that’s good for you and our planet.